The towers in the Middle Ages represent the strength and the Blazon of the noble families who competed for power; the city of Orvieto is no exception to this logic and on the cliff there were many majestic towers faced to witness the role played by each House within the society of the town.
however the continuing crashes, the passing of time and the habit to break down Towers of the enemy families in case of victory ensured few surviving towers were arrived intact to the present day. Among these, the tower of Moro and the Tower of Mauritius are the most popular in Orvieto.
However, the two towers are totally different stories between them.
The first, originally called "Pope's Tower", was ceded in 1515 by Pope Leo X to the people of Orvieto and was renamed "tower of the moor", allegedly in reference to a Orvieto nicknamed "the moor" who resided in a House very close to the tower. 47 meters tall, a clock, two bells placed in line with the four cardinal points, is a central element. It stands on the intersection of four historic districts: Serancia, Olmo, Corsica and Stella. Elegant and Impressive, it is a symbol of the three faces of power in the Middle Ages: these religious, these civil and these economic.
The Tower of Mauritius, that is the Tower on piazza of the Cathedral, to which its history is entirely tied up; it is a medium-tall tower been on top of a small bearded man who delivers the mallet chanting hours. It was built for want of Opera of Cathedral between 1347 and 1348, to mark the time of the works of the Cathedral. At that time Europe was brutally lashed by black fever and for the people of Orvieto built a monument of the genre, meant, to express a need of metaphorically future in the spirit of revenge against the black tragedy.